RCABC Lakewater Level 1 Certificate
This canoe course is ideal for people who want to lead groups on the water. It's a great preparation for your first canoe trip, leading youth in outdoor pursuits, and learning basic canoe strokes and manoeuvres.
In the course you will learn:
- Forward, stopping and reverse
- Basic turns while paddling forward
- Spins and Sideslip maneuvers
- Capsizes and Rescues
- Canoeing Safety guidelines and equipment
- Paddles, PFDs and other gear
- Storing and waterproofing gear
- Paddling positions and boat trim
- Handling waves and wind
- Launching and landing
This is a two-day course and will include several opportunities for group leadership games and plenty of time on the water. Participants are advised to bring their own water bottle, packed lunch and PFD if they have one. Lifejackets, canoes, paddles and safety equipment will be provided.
Participants registered with the Recreational Canoeing Association of BC (RCABC) will receive their Lakewater Level 1 Basic Tandem and Lakewater Level 1 Basic Solo Certification upon successful completion of the course. [Register online at bccanoe.ca]